diesel-bike.com
September 20, 2017, 07:41:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Good News - Website finally moved and this SMF - Just Installed!
Bad News - the old board data was lost!
Feel free to register and get this board back in business! ~CJ

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: KLR diesel conversion  (Read 61487 times)
Diesel Biker

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 06:32:06 PM »

I thought the HDT's were pretty good!

Everything your read about HDT's is from HDT. Good advertisement to promote the bike and suck in investors I think. I live in Military central, 100 mile radius, i.e. 29 Palms, Camp Pendleton, Nebo Barstow, Yermo Annex, Fort Irwin, Edwards AFB, etc. etc. and I've visited HDT several times, only 60 miles away, no Diesel Bikes. I think they are all on a submarine, maybe at a top secret underwater motocross course on the moon? Shocked

From an engineering standpoint, they will run, very poorly though, and will vibrate themselves apart.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 05:25:35 PM by Diesel Biker » Logged

A Hemi? I don't need no stinking Hemi, I have a Diesel!
SamM

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 06:49:17 AM »

Sparky,
Can you seriously get 68mph out of it? How does the bike feel on the road? What about hills? Does it seem like you are always looking for more power? I live in a very rural area and ride 25 miles one way to work. This seems like the perfect bike for my needs. Sorry, for the questions but I really want a diesel motorcycle. Especially, one that gets 115mpg.

I just purchased a used 2008 KLR650 frame off ebay. TnFan will have my new engine in a month or so, and I just PMed Comet Industries to see what they recommend.

SamM
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 04:29:08 PM by SamM » Logged
Diesel Biker

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 05:37:40 PM »

Sparky,
Can you seriously get 68mph out of it? How does the bike feel on the road? What about hills? Does it seem like you are always looking for more power? I live in a very rural area and ride 25 miles one way to work. This seems like the perfect bike for my needs. Sorry, for the questions but I really want a diesel motorcycle. Especially, one that gets 115mpg.

I just purchased a used 2008 KLR650 frame off ebay. TnFan will have my new engine in a month or so, and I just PMed Comet Industries to see what they recommend.

SamM

Hey SamM,

Dave here, I've talked with TnFan, let me know when you get your engine, V-Twin? I'm swapping my Ruggerini with another smaller engine, so I'm thinking of getting one from him.

And yes Sparky's bike should get every bit of 115mpg, but let him answer.

My Hatz/Dnepr (997cc) and my Honda/Ruggerini (994cc) both get an average of 75-100mpg easy @ 52.8mph Dnepr/55-65mph Honda, with a best of 128mpg.

And for you HDT fans should read this post, See: http://www.suckindiesel.com/thingy/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=879

Good luck with your build,

Dave

SamM

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »

Hey Dave,
I'm going with the 13hp single cylinder engine first. If I have issues or it doesn't work, I'll then opt for the bigger 25hp V-twin. Sparky is reporting 68mph and I'm basing my choice on his experience. I'm going with the new KLR because it's a little more slippery in the wind. I also have a bunch of '08 takeoff parts from my other bike. Hopefully, Comet will get back with me and have a suggestion about what clutch parts to use.

SamM
Diesel Biker

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »

Hopefully, Comet will get back with me and have a suggestion about what clutch parts to use.

SamM

I have Quality Drive Systems on speed dial, Talk with Roy if needed, maybe Comet has a vender out were your at. Roy a Quality actually worked for Mr. Salsbury (Salsbury clutch and Scooters http://salsburyscooters.com/ ) which Comet bought out. http://home.mindspring.com/~royco/

I'm getting a Series 1190 and a Team Industries Rapid Reaction set up from him again ($1,000). Might give him a call, if you need me to ask, I'd look into the 780 maybe?, the same clutch used on the Ridley Auto Glide, as you need to clutch up if you do go the 25hp version. better buy big if you need to, the series 40 is good for the hobbiest, http://www.ridleymotorcycles.com/

Dave

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:28:44 PM by Diesel Biker » Logged

SamM

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 08:49:36 PM »

Dave,
Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call too. I was concerned that the Comet parts wouldn't be heavy enough. Burnt up drivebelts is nothing to look forward to.

SamM
88mustangt

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 06:42:02 PM »

I scratched my head for about two years before thinking to use this bike.  I found it's just a matter of jumping in and just doing it is the hardest part.  Once you start, the story unfolds and you watch the whole thing come together. 

That's was my experience to a tee. I had analysis paralysis too, so one day I just fired up the sawzall and went for it. After the first cut it just came together.

If the Comet is burning up belts then the final drive gearing is too high in my opinion. I've had good luck with the Comet 94C and would recommend it for a dual sport since belt slip is not an issue; however, it probably has a little more friction as a trade off. Most people seem to be great results from the 500 series also.

I started out with a 3.33 final drive and have so far gotten my best results with a 4.60 gear. I would actually like to go a little lower. My acceleration and top speed performance has consistently improved as I've lowered my final drive ratio, while increasing the weight of my pucks, and decreasing the rate of my driver spring accordingly. The one rule of thumb I've stuck to is not using a sprocket smaller than 13t due to friction and wear. I actually made my 60t rear sprocket from a blank I ordered from https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp.

My topspeed with a 10HP Yanclone on relatively flat ground is 60 MPH so I'm intriqued by the idea of 68 MPH. I can hit around 66 MPH on a steep downhill before I'm bumping off 4000 RPM which is no good for the engine.
Sparky

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 11:19:56 AM »

I apologize for the long absence.  For a while, you all would email me directly with questions and I forgot to check the forum.  I just figured the interest was lost. 

To answer SamM, the broken-in top speed on a long flat road is now 75MPH.  I reset the ratios of the drive and driven unit as well as the counter sprocket.  The torque was balancing out to where the torque converter was only engaging to about 80%.  The RPMs would move beyond 3000RPMs.  I decided to go with the comet 44D and then use a 14 tooth counter sprocket and a 60 tooth rear sprocket.  This has allowed the RPMs and power band to change the torque ratio and allow 100% engagement of the drive system.  When approaching a hill or heavy headwind, the torque changes and the engine cannot overcome the force and allows the torque converter to disengage, thus losing speed, while maintaining RPMs.  This is one of the biggest downfalls of using the torque converter setup.  I would recommend using the Ultima 6 Speed, mated up to the V-Twin diesel for future designs.  The 13HP is a good engine for a very lite bike, but for a 450lb bike and a 175lb rider, this is just pushing the envelope for good response on the 13HP.  For further questions, please email me directly at mercedes300dturbo@yahoo.com.  Sorry for the long absence.. David
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: